Dutch West Indian Company
negotiates the purchase of Greenpoint from the
Home of Dirck Volchertsen -
first family. His house stood on a knoll where Calyer Street now
|Jacobus Calyer Home settles. One of the first 5 families of Greenpoint.||Green Point was still in the possession of the British||
Ferry Service is established.
Greenpoint was dominated by the two competing ferry operators that carried farm
products to markets in Lower
Bliss has all of the
land consisting of Green Point surveyed and laid out into streets and lots marking Greenpoints monumental transition from farm community, to village, to town.
|The first public highway was opened in Green
Point. It connected
it with bridges across Newton and Bushwick Creeks to the cities of Astoria to the
North, and Williamsburg the South.
|Ship building becomes the foremost industry||The first Tavern in Greenpoint "Perrys Inn" located at Eagle and Franklyn.||The Church of the Ascension was founded in
and its Present Church (located at 127 Kent St.) was built in 1865, of Gothic architecture of an English church. It is said that this Church is the first in the neighborhood to have installed the first fire system that was connected to
the fire department back in the day
|1. Dr. Isaac K. Snell, becomes
Greenpoints first physician and druggist.
2. Green Points first organized church
is built: First Methodist Episcopal Church built on Manhattan
3. The Solid Men of Williamsburg list is published. It contains 44 names of people whose possessions in Real Estate and personal estate exceed $10K. The list includes: James Ainslie($15K); David Meserole ($20K); lemuel Richardson ($30K); John Skillman ($35K).
|The first Greenpoint School located on Manhattan Avenue and Kent Street||Eliphalet S.Scripture of Greenpoint, Brooklyn,
received the first patent for the improvement of the "flying" carousel horse.
Another Greenpoint man,
Charles I.D. Looff builds his first carousel, completed in 1876, was placed at Balmers Pavillion at
West 6th and Surf Avenue in Coney Island. His second went to Feltmans Beer Garden, also on Surf Avenue. By 1880, Looff had opened a factory at Bedford Avenue and Guernsey Street , where he manufactured carousels
for resorts and amusement centers around the nation.The above image is a Looff horse carefully detailed porcelain replica of a black armor-clad jumper carved around 1911 for a Long Beach, California
|Property tax is $3.43. The first general store
opens on Franklin Street
near Green Street.
|KENT STREET, GUERNSEY STREET, and MILTON STREET Opened||The Greenpoint Gas Light Company is incorporated, located on Milton between West and Franklin||The Union Porcelain Works Company was established in 1854 and was in operation until 1912||Greenpoint was part of Bushwich Town (established in 1660) until 1855, when it was annexed to Brooklyn.||St. Anthonys parish is established. The first Catholic parish, with Reverend. John Brady as the first pastor.||The Greenpoint Eckfords baseball team is founded. The team, made up of local ship workers goes on to win back to back championships, as well as going undefeated during the 1863 season.||Abraham Lincoln signs an order to construct the
Monitor to assist in the Civil War. It was built by
Continental Iron Works at Calyer and West Street in 101 days
|Built in Greenpoint, The Monitor encounters the Confederate armored ram The Merrimac||1. Wealthy industrialist Charles Pratt built
the first modern oil
refinery in the US on the banks of the Newtown Creek. Standard Oil
refineries, producers of Astral oil
2. St Johns Lutheran Church Church is born. Its first Church building on fourth Street (now Leonard St) near Greenpoint Ave.
|1. On September 6, 1869 Greenpoint FDNY Ladder
Company 6 was established at 124 Greenpoint Avenue.
2. The first Greenpoint Savings bank customer is "signed up"
|1. St Cecilia's is organized in 1872. A frame
church is built in 1873
2. The first pencil factory in the USA (1861) was located in
Manhattan -- however a year later it moved to Greenpoint! The Eberhard Faber pencil
factory located at 37 Greenpoint Ave capped with a giant yellow star-and-diamond symbol on
the Greenpoint Ave. building with
|St. Anthonys church building is dedicated on June 10, 1974. The first site was at 150 India Street purchased on January 1, 1856 with a small brick building in use from 1857-1874||Herseman bakery fire June 22, 1883. Jonathan Tyack, then Acting Foreman, and George Haight, temporarily detailed to the company, lost their lives beneath the falling walls. At the Herseman bakery fire, FDNY Foreman Stephen Allen was so badly burned about the face and body and bruised on the back and legs by falling walls, that he was laid up for nearly six months||State Senator Patrick McCarren (as in McCarren
introducing bills for the construction of a bridge to Manhattan
|The Astral apartments on Franklin Street, designed after the Peabody Apartments in London is constructed||Winthrop park is acquired for park purposes and
is unofficially known as "Winthrop Park". The above image is from a postcard, postmarked 1912.
|May 8, 1892 St Johns Lutheran Church dedicates its new building on Milton Street during the Pastorate of Rev. Frederick Oswald. Restoration was performed in the fall of 1998 by the Yankee Steeplejack Co. of Concord Mass. The Church organ is a tracker-action organ built in 1892 (few now exist). It has a total of 1214 pipes.||Mae West is born on Herbert Street.||St. Stans Church is founded||The stretch leading up to Driggs Avenue known as Ewan Street is renamed to Manhattan Avenue||Lutheran Church "The friendly Church" is organized||The Williamsburg Bridge opens||The cornerstone for the new Messiah Lutheran Church on Russell Street is laid||1. Greenpoint Branch library opens.
Greenpoint YMCA opens. The original section of the building was constructed in
|A look at PS 126 in the year 1911||Greenpoint Hospital is constructed on Skillman Avenue. The hospital was still partly in operation by the early 1980's.It later became a homeless shelter and then finally closed. It is said that the large houses on Orient Avenue were built to house the "well off" doctors who ran the hospital.||Schaefer Brewery on Kent Avenue, established. The Coaster pictured above is circa 1935-1945||Local Democratic "boss", Pete McGuinness sponsors a City ordinance to ban smoking by women in public||Automotive HS originally formed as The Williamsburg Continuatinn School.. In 1927 the Armory Building on Stagg Street is aquired for the repair shop. In 1936 the Armory was demolished and replaced by Housing Project. Two floors at the Gretsch Building on Broadway are used. In 1937 two floors at PS 147 on Bushwick Avenue are used as temporary classrooms. See 1938 for new building information.||1. September 18, 1924 the 51st Precinct (later
changed to 94th in 1929) opened at 100-102 Meserole Ave under Police Commisioner Richard
Enright. The first officer to give his life in the line of Duty at the 94th was Ptlmn.
Nicholas Moreno (May 23, 1939) while trying to stop a gas station robbery.
2. Bedford Avenue, Lorimer Street, and Graham Avenue subway stations open on September 21, 1924